This is somewhat of a wiki section. On this page you’ll find various small- to medium-sized thoughts, which may change or even be removed at any time in the future, that I haven’t yet split out to their own pages (and may never bother!), alongside links to longer-form thoughts that are liable to evolve over time (and as such, aren’t fit for a blog post which is written once and then, generally, not modified later).
Everything on this page or any linked sub-pages should be considered fully opinion. I may or may not choose to cite any references to back up claims made on this page. If you want Actual Journalism Or A Hobbyist Equivalent Thereof, check out my blog, where you will still be disappointed, but will find footnotes to extend my rambles into proper Thoughts.
… that were so long, they warranted their own page:
… on the weather:
Cold weather is better than hot weather, because I can always apply more layers to stay warm, but “allegedly” I “can’t” walk around civilization naked to stay cool. Bit of a rip-off if you ask me.
Rain brings life. Sure, getting caught in a downpour is no fun, but every time I drive through the desert or some other arid place, I make it about 5 days before wishing for greenery and life and vibrance that rain brings.
… except, if it’s going to be hot anyway, I’d far rather it be dry than humid. 35C in Las Vegas was tolerable. 35C in Los Angeles varied based on proximity to ocean breeze, but even inland was still tolerable. 35C in the Seattle area is universally unbearable: it’s humid AF no matter where you go.
… on so many buzzwords they don’t even fit in this heading:
The following buzzwords (or applications thereof) are all absolute bullshit. Fuck you, personally, if you contribute to the overzealous hypermarketing of these things to chase trends and/or in spite of a lack of supporting evidence and/or in spite of evidence demonstrating their harms:
- Cryptocurrencies, which consume about as much power as small nation-states
- “NFTs”, particularly those made of works made by folks other than those doing the selling
- Slapping an “AI” label on absolutely everything that uses an if-statement somewhere in the codebase
- … or using AI to violate the rights and autonomy of artists
- … or using AI to violate the rights and autonomy of software developers
- … or using AI to violate the rights and wellbeing of humans in general
- There’s more. Give me time to write them out eventually.